Saturday 9 June 2007

Life is sick

I'm pretty certain now that its not just poker thats sick. It seems the same trends in poker also applies to life. It makes you wonder and definately puts things into perspective, when you consider that peoples personalities, often affect how good they can be at poker. For example the compulsive, impulsive or impatient would tend to make bad players.

Then theres the luck aspect, in life we inevitably go through bad patches where nothing seems to be going right for us. Just before Christmas, it seemed like I was coming out of one of these with my financial situation improving and good prospects in the career department. Although, by february when my dad had a heart attack and further into May where I had a big falling out with my long term girlfriend, it would seem the exact opposite.

Just last week, again I thought things were turning when I had a really good week. My financial situation started to lookup, my career was definately looking up, I had a big win at poker and everything was moving along nice.

But you know what? Life can turn sick at any moment, everything can change and make you feel terrible when just a week ago you were king of the world. That happened yesterday when I found out my aunty had been diagnosed with cancer. This isn't just an aunty you see at birthdays or christmas, this is like a second mother thing for me. As a kid she was always there if I needed her and still is if ever I needed her. She would make me lunch when I got locked out of my house for forgetting my key when my parents were at work. She'd also do really cool stuff for me as a kid like make Christmas that extra bit special and make sure I knew I was always welcome around her house to talk or even watch a movie or something. Hell she even helped me buy my first car.

But the point is, you get caught up in life and float along like everything is fine and then bam - no matter how bad things have been for you. You dont really take notice until something bad happens to the people you really love.

Everyday I play poker to create a better future for me and my family. I take it deadly serious and everyday I talk about bad patches and successes on here, when really - maybe what we do is linked. I mean, when we play - we break things down into odds or percentages.

Today for example my KK got beat by AK offsuit preflop which is about 80 / 20 favourite. In the same tourny my JJ got beat by A2 which I believe is the same, or even a higher favourite. Now this really shouldn't happen. But in 22 years of my life, everything goes OK when in the space of 4 months, two of the people you care about most in the whole universe get seriously ill. What are the odds of that?

So maybe life is sick and maybe we are just due to have really bad times now and a while. One thing I know for sure though, is that I'm about 2 years deep into a bad patch right now and things are scheduled to get REAL good REAL soon. So that had better mean everything sorting itself out and my aunty getting better real soon. Although, I'd definately settle for just the latter.

So, on the back of all that. When my KK starts beating A2 preflop - I'll know things are well on the way to improving. But till then, I guess we all gotta keep grinding and hope for the best.

Good luck in life guys.

No comments: