Saturday 2 June 2007

Back once again like the Renegade Master

Well, after May's sickness - I decided to take a long break from Poker. I took two weeks out [which is quite a long time for me considering I partly rely on Poker to pay the bills] mainly because the beats I was taking were beyond odd defying or sick - they were downright suspicious.

Anyway, I came back to the tables a few days ago, fresh to take on the world and its basically been business as usual, in a good way! Back to how I used to be where I grinded out a nice steady profit and SnG's.

But dont get me wrong. I'm a tournament player and I was never in this game to hang about grinding it out in SnG's for my entire Poker career. Multi table tournaments are where its at for me and dreams of winning big events like the World Series are strong for me.

My problem is, recently I have needed all the money I make from SnG's, so I haven't been playing many tournaments. The other night I decided to play a big tournament for the first time in a while, well I only went and bloody won it!

It was undoubtedly the toughest tournament I have ever played in. Nearly everytime I end up on the final table of a tournament, its because I have hit the right hands at the right time. This tournament was COMPLETELY different. It was so damn tough. I didn't pickup a hand in the first hour and if it wasn't a deep stack tourny I would of been finished. Then, as the blinds started getting crippling and people started making mistakes due to the pressure - I was just able to take down pots with marginal hands and generally out play people.

Consistently got my money in when in front and before I knew where we were I was in the money! However going into the final table I was the short stack, my main goal was just to get my chips in when in front and look to push with big hands and double through. Well, I did and kept doing it all the way to the chiplead!

To put things into perspective this tournament was so tough, that at the first break the guy I eliminated in 5th had 13000 chips when I had a mere 1500 when our starting stack was 2500. So it was a win I was well and truely proud of. I had to work hard for it and it definately hit home to me that poker was all about the skill as opposed to the luck - although it might not always seem that way!

Anyway, this prize money allows me to move up levels in Sit n Go tournaments and it will also allow me to play alot more Multi table tournaments which is great. Hopefully it will be the catalyst to spur me onto greater things.

Here's hoping!
Good luck at the tables!

No comments: